Coach Serhiy Rebrov, part of the staff when Dynamo Kyiv beat Manchester City five years ago, is unperturbed by the prospect of facing them again: "Everyone has weaknesses."
Article top media content
- First leg: Dynamo v Manchester City, Wednesday 24 February (20.45CET)
- Second leg: Manchester City v Dynamo, Tuesday 15 March (20.45CET)
Serhiy Rebrov, Dynamo coach
It's a normal draw for us. We would prepare for any tie in the last 16 with the sharpest focus. City are a solid team, but we have played them before and had success.
Everyone has weaknesses – our job is to study them carefully and find them. People praised Chelsea after the group stage draw, but we had two decent games against them. I hope we'll give a fright to another English side. It'll be heating up in the Premier League then, clubs will be playing twice a week which will also will be significant.
We'll begin the year with Champions League matches. It's not a new thing for Dynamo. We know how to build form and prepare for such games. We progressed from our group, but we still need to add some strength.
Txiki Begiristain, Manchester City director of football
It's never easy – Dynamo have shown they have a good side by beating Porto and drawing with Chelsea. It's going to be difficult for us but the most important thing is that we show we're improving in this competition and we fight to get to the quarters. We're ready to try and improve in this competition and grow.
Dynamo are a strong side, they will play football and it's 11 v 11. It's going to be tough. They will want to show people they're strong, that they are fighting for something. They're in the last 16 so we know they are good. We are getting experience which is important. We are improving.
- Dynamo overcame Manchester City 2-1 on aggregate in the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League round of 16, winning 2-0 at home (Shevchenko 25, Gusev 77) before a 1-0 away defeat (Kolarov 39).
- Dynamo were paired with English opposition in this season's group stage, drawing 0-0 with Chelsea in Kyiv before a 2-1 away reverse.
- The Ukrainian side beat Everton 5-2 in the 2014/15 UEFA Europa League round of 16, winning 6-4 on aggregate. That second-leg triumph in Kyiv, and the City success, are their only victories against English opposition in their last 13 matches.
- The 2010/11 tie against Dynamo is City's sole experience of Ukrainian opposition. They have lost in the round of 16 in each of the last two seasons, going down to Barcelona both times.