Sevilla have lost four of their five fixtures against French sides and will be looking for improvement when they play host to Group H's early leaders Lyon on matchday two.
Article top media content
Sevilla FC will be keen to improve their record against French sides when they host Olympique Lyonnais on matchday two, having lost four of their five fixtures against Ligue 1 opponents.
• The teams are meeting for the first time on a competitive stage while two friendly matches between them have yielded only one goal.
• On 30 July 2009 in Seville, the home side edged it 1-0 thanks to Ernesto Chevantón's goal four minutes from time. François Clerc and Jean II Makoun were sent off for the visitors.
• When the teams met in Lyon on 22 July 2014 it finished 0-0.
• The Andalusian club drew 0-0 at Juventus on matchday one.
• Before that there had been three games against LOSC Lille Métropole in the same competition, Sevilla's solitary success a 2-0 win in the home leg of a 2005/06 round of 16 tie. Sevilla prevailed 2-1 on aggregate.
• Former Chile coach Jorge Sampaoli is overseeing Sevilla's fourth group stage campaign after succeeding Unai Emery in the summer.
• Last season they put their disappointment at only finishing third in Group D behind them by lifting the UEFA Europa League for the third successive year and fifth time in 11 seasons.
• In the UEFA Europa League they won three of their four home matches en route to the final in Basel, where they overcame Liverpool FC 3-1. Their only stumble at the Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán came in the quarter-finals against Athletic Club, going down 2-1 after winning away by the same score. Sevilla came through the shoot-out 5-4.
• The Ligue 1 runners-up won only one game in this competition last season; they matched that at the first time of asking this time round with a 3-0 victory over GNK Dinamo Zagreb on matchday one.
• It was in Spain that they achieved their solitary three-point haul last term, a 2-0 success at Valencia CF on matchday six. It meant they preserved their record of gaining at least one win in every UEFA Champions League campaign.
• Lyon's away record against Liga clubs is W3 D4 L7; overall it is W9 D7 L12.
• They have won on two of their last four visits, defeating Athletic 3-2 in the 2012/13 UEFA Europa League group stage with a winning goal from Alexandre Lacazette. In the same competition the following season Lyon went to Seville to face Real Betis in the group stage and came away with a 0-0 draw. Bafétimbi Gomis' goal at Stade de Gerland gave Lyon a home victory.
Coach and player links
• Timothée Kolodziejczak made 12 league appearances for Lyon between 2008 and 2012. For OGC Nice he faced Lyon three times between 2012 and 2014, losing twice and drawing once.
• Wissam Ben Yedder scored five goals in nine games against Lyon during six years with Toulouse FC (2010–16). He was on the winning side twice, suffering five defeats.
• Benoît Trémoulinas scored in FC Girondins de Bordeaux's 2-0 victory over Lyon in September 2012. He faced Lyon on 13 occasions in his six years there and was on the winning team seven times. He also spent the second half of the 2013/14 campaign on loan at AS Saint-Étienne.
• Adil Rami scored in LOSC's 2-2 draw with Lyon in October 2008.
• Salvatore Sirigu made 145 appearances for Paris before joining Sevilla on loan this summer. His record against Lyon is W3 D3 L1.
• Others who have played for another club in their opponents' country:
Sergi Darder, Málaga CF (2013–15)
Steven N’Zonzi (Amiens SC 2007–09)
Mariano Ferreira (Bordeaux 2012–15)
Samir Nasri (Olympique de Marseille 2004–08)
• Have played together:
Sirigu & Christophe Jallet (Paris, 2011–14)
Gabriel Mercado & Emanuel Mammana (CA River Plate, 2014–16)
Matías Kranevitter & Mammana (River Plate, 2014–15)
• International team-mates:
Mathieu Valbuena, Jallet, Clément Grenier, Maxime Gonalons, Lacazette & Rami (France)
Gonalons, Valbuena, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Grenier, Lacazette, Nabil Fekir, Jallet & Trémoulinas (France)
Yanga-Mbiwa, Gonalons & N'Zonzi (France U21)
Gueïda Fofana, Grenier, Lacazette & Ben Yedder (France U21)
• Kolodziejczak is available having served a one-game ban on matchday one.
• The 3-1 loss at Athletic Club on Saturday, in which Salvatore Sirigu was sent off late on, ended the Andalusian side's six-game unbeaten run in all competitions.
• Luciano Vietto has scored three goals this campaign, equalling the tally he managed in 28 appearances for Club Atlético de Madrid last term.
• Gabriel Mercado's first goal for Sevilla earned the Blanquirrojos a 1-0 derby victory against Betis on 20 September.
• Lyon suffered their third loss in five Ligue 1 matches on Saturday, going down 1-0 at FC Lorient.
• Fekir (knee) returned from a three-week lay-off in style on 21 September, scoring twice in the 5-1 defeat of Montpellier Hérault SC. Corentin Tolisso also registered a double.
• Lacazette, who scored six goals in his first three Ligue 1 games this term, has not played since 10 September because of a thigh injury.