Club Atlético de Madrid
Article top media content
Date of birth: 28 April 1970
Playing career: Vélez Sarsfield, Pisa, Sevilla, Atlético Madrid (twice), Internazionale Milano, Lazio, Racing Club
Coaching career: Racing Club (twice), Estudiantes, River Plate, San Lorenzo, Catania, Atlético Madrid
• Launched career as a combative midfielder with Vélez Sarsfield and was a full Argentinian international at 18, making debut in a July 1988 friendly against Australia; went on to play in three FIFA World Cups and retired as Argentina's most-capped player (106 appearances, 11 goals). Moved to Italy in 1990 to join Pisa; two years later he left for Sevilla, where he played under Argentina's 1986 World Cup-winning coach Carlos Bilardo and – for one season – alongside Diego Maradona.
• Joined Atlético in 1994 and won the Spanish domestic double in his second season, his first major club honours to add to two Copa América titles (1991 and 1993) plus the 1992 FIFA Confederations Cup with Argentina.
• Enjoyed further success after returning to Italy, winning the UEFA Cup with Inter, plus a Serie A and Coppa Italia double in his debut campaign with Lazio (1999/2000). After four years in Rome, he returned to Madrid for a second spell with Atlético before ending his playing career in Argentina with Racing Club.
• Started coaching career with Racing Club and won Argentinian titles with Estudiantes (2006 Apertura) and River Plate (2008 Clausura); brief spells at San Lorenzo, Italian club Catania and Racing (again) preceded his appointment in December 2011 at Atlético.
• Led Atlético to victory in the 2012 UEFA Europa League final against Athletic Club and to a Copa del Rey final triumph over Real Madrid in 2013. A year later, Atlético held off Barcelona and Madrid to win their first league title since 1996, although they lost to Madrid in the UEFA Champions League final. Took Atlético to another UEFA Champions League final in 2016, which they again lost to Madrid, but collected more silverware two years later with another UEFA Europa League triumph and followed up by finally getting the better of Madrid in Europe with victory in the UEFA Super Cup.