Chelsea FC and FC Shakhtar Donetsk booked their places in the round of 16 on a night where Sergio Agüero inspired Manchester City FC and Lionel Messi set yet another record.
Article top media content
• Chelsea and Shakhtar latest teams into round of 16 as BATE chances end
• Roma denied at death by CSKA and Manchester City revive hopes with defeat of Bayern
• Sporting overtake Schalke for Group G second place; Porto clinch Group H
• Lionel Messi surpasses Raúl González as all-time competition leading scorer
Follow the match links for reports, reaction and, from midnight CET, highlights (until 24.00CET on Thursday).
PFC CSKA Moskva 1-1 AS Roma
• A goal deep in added time from Vasili Berezutski cancelled out Francesco Totti's free-kick and kept CSKA's hopes alive; had Roma held on, they would have been through.
Manchester City FC 3-2 FC Bayern München
• Sergio Agüero scored on 85 minutes and then in stoppage time to turn the game against the group winners. City must beat Roma on 10 December and hope CSKA do not win at Bayern.
APOEL FC 0-4 FC Barcelona
• Luis Suárez got his first Barcelona goal and then Messi hit a hat-trick, his opener making him the outright all-time leading UEFA Champions League scorer.
Paris Saint-Germain 3-1 AFC Ajax
• Paris, who like Barcelona were already qualified, remain a point clear at the top after an Edinson Cavani double.
Sporting Clube de Portugal 3-1 NK Maribor
• In a match with an hour-long half-time due to floodlight failure, Sporting moved into second, two points above Schalke, meaning a draw at Chelsea on 10 December will take them through. Maribor are now out.
FC BATE Borisov 0-3 FC Porto
• BATE's prospects were ended after second-half strikes by Hector Herrera, Jackson Martínez and Cristian Tello lifted Porto, already qualified, onto 13 points in the early game.
FC Shakhtar Donetsk 0-1 Athletic Club
• Shakhtar were through before kick-off thanks to BATE's loss but cannot catch Porto following Mikel San José's goal for Athletic, who now require just a home draw with the Borisov team to earn a UEFA Europa League berth.