What teams bring out the killer in Lionel Messi? Which teams are his kryptonite?
Article top media content
Lionel Messi's 123 European goals for Barcelona is a UEFA club competition single-club record and even if his departure for Paris Saint-Germain means he will not be adding to that tally, it is a record likely to stand for a long time to come.
In his 153 European games for the Blaugrana in the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Super Cup he met 43 different clubs. Does he enjoy meeting some teams more than others?Messi and Ronaldo goal for goal
• Messi has scored 123 goals in 12,490 minutes of European football; that's a goal every 101 minutes and 33 seconds.
• The Argentinian has faced 43 different clubs in Europe (from 17 countries), failing to score against five: Atlético Madrid, Benfica, Internazionale Milano, Rubin Kazan and Udinese.
• His goal against Ferencváros on 20 October 2020 meant Messi has scored against a record 39 clubs in the competition.
• Atlético and Inter are the sides Messi has gone longest without scoring against: 360 minutes in UEFA competition.
• Chelsea are the team Messi has played the most minutes against (835 across ten matches); he did not score in his first 730 minutes facing the Blues, but struck three times in two games against them in 2017/18.
• The only other team he faced ten times in Europe with Barcelona were his new club Paris, totalling six goals over 794 minutes.
• The keeper who has gone the longest without conceding against Messi in Europe is Inter's Júlio César – 270 minutes – though Rubin Kazan's Sergei Ryzhikov may feel he has the moral right to that title. He has been unbeaten in 237 minutes against Messi; that run took in four matches, as opposed to Júlio César's three.
• Messi has scored more goals against Arsenal than any other team in UEFA competition – nine in 447 minutes comprising six games. On average, that's a goal every 49 minutes and 40 seconds.
• The Blaugrana man's most amenable opponents are Bayer Leverkusen: Messi has hit seven goals in 270 minutes against them, at a rate of one every 38 minutes and 34 seconds. Five of those strikes famously came in one match, a 7-1 win on 7 March 2012.
Who has Messi scored against in UEFA competition?
|Opponents by club||Games||Minutes||Goals||Minutes per goal|
• Of the big five European footballing nations, German opponents seem to suit Messi best: he scores on average every 73 minutes and 32 seconds against Bundesliga clubs. Goals are much rarer against sides from England (every 101 minutes 12 seconds), France (121 minutes 5 seconds), Italy (155 minutes 17 seconds) and Spain (187 minutes 30 seconds).
• Messi may relish Portuguese defences least of all; in 478 minutes against Liga teams, he has scored just twice – a goal every 239 minutes.
Which nations' clubs has Messi scored against?
|Opponents by nationality||Games||Minutes||Goals||Minutes per goal|
When Messi has scored his UEFA club competition goals
• Messi is relatively slow to get started after the whistle; his least prolific scoring periods are at the start of either half. By contrast, he seems to hit something of a critical goalscoring mass in the closing stages: 15 goals between the 86th minute and the final whistle.
Last updated 10/08/2021