Roberto Di Matteo meets old friends when FC Schalke 04 host a Chelsea FC side he led to European glory in 2012 but with a last-16 place available José Mourinho means business.
Article top media content
• Schalke have won four and lost three under Roberto Di Matteo
• Di Matteo guided Chelsea to UEFA Champions League glory as interim manager in 2012
• The Blues are 18 matches unbeaten in 2014/15, winning 14
• With a busy December schedule, José Mourinho is keen for Chelsea to wrap it up early
• Schalke drew 1-1 at Stamford Bridge on matchday one, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar equalising
Permutations: Schalke (5pts) v Chelsea (8)
• Chelsea will be through with a win or any draw in which they score two goals or more.
• Schalke will go top with a victory but cannot go through or be eliminated for now.
Schalke: Fährmann; Neustädter, Santana, Höwedes; Uchida, Fuchs, Kirchhoff, Boateng, Höger; Choupo-Moting, Huntelaar.
• Out: Kolašinac (knee), Draxler (hamstring), Farfán (knee), Obasi (shin)
• Doubtful: Sam (thigh), Giefer (adductors)
Chelsea: Courtois; Ivanović, Terry, Cahill, Filipe Luís; Fàbregas, Matić; Schürrle, Oscar, Hazard; Costa.
• Out: Aké (hamstring)
Roberto Di Matteo, Schalke coach
We have to put in a great performance and hope for Chelsea not to have their best day. They are unbeaten, bring lots of individual quality to the table and are well positioned. We have to play a top game to win this match.
After the game maybe there will be some emotions for me, but it is a match between Schalke and Chelsea and we will focus on that. Honestly, I am not thinking about Munich 2012 that much. I am a person looking forward, not backwards – I live in the present, even though lots of people keep reminding me of that night.
I spent many years of my life at Chelsea and still know many people who work there – players as well. But that's more a private thing and has nothing to do with my job. A win would mean three points for us and a very good position in this group. I have no thoughts of revenge – I had a wonderful time there with lots of wonderful people.
José Mourinho, Chelsea manager
We need points to continue playing in Champions League. That's why we are here, to get those points. I am not here to speak about Di Matteo: I am here to speak about the game.
Obviously it would be better for us to qualify tomorrow. We have so many matches [eight] in December, so if we can avoid a Champions League decider that would be very good for us. The reality is that we need points and we will try to get them here. If we cannot, we still have our last game against Sporting.
The players and the team are playing really well. In every game we are playing really well. Nothing comes for free, nothing comes just with luck. The draws we had – we were closer to winning than to losing them. We are getting results because the team are playing very well.
Without a team behind him, [Diego Costa] is nothing. He is playing well, he is scoring goals, but it is not fair to just speak about him and not the team. We have new players in the team and they have settled well.
Schalke 3-2 VfL Wolfsburg (Choupo-Moting 10 22, Fuchs 25; Olić 37, Bendtner 74)
Chelsea 2-0 West Bromwich Albion FC (Diego Costa 11, Hazard 25)
Form guide (all competitions)
• The Königsblauen have not won in how many home fixtures against English opponents? Find out in our extensive match background.