Both coaches were effusive in their praise for the opposition, with Club Atlético de Madrid's Diego Simeone outlining his "enormous respect" for Group A rivals Juventus.
Article top media content
• Diego Simeone says it is "not easy to find faults" in Juventus's game
• The Atlético coach "will see tomorrow morning if Gabi is available to play"
• Simeone knows his side must keep a close eye on the in-form Carlos Tévez
• Juve's Massimiliano Allegri anticipates a tough test for his defence
• The Bianconeri have won six out of six in all competitions this term without conceding
Atlético: Moyà; Juanfran, Miranda, Godín, Ansaldi; Koke, Tiago, Mario Suárez, Arda; Raúl García; Mandžukić.
• Out: Gabi (ankle)
Juventus: Buffon; Cáceres, Bonucci, Chiellini; Liechtsteiner, Pogba, Marchisio, Vidal, Evra ; Tévez, Llorente.
• Out: Pirlo (thigh), Barzagli (ankle), Rômulo (hernia)
Diego Simeone, Atlético coach
This is a final, just like our subsequent matches against Valencia and Espanyol. The players must be ready because every game is different and we have to rotate. We have forwards who have different skills in order to balance out our attacking strategy.
Juventus have always been a very strong team and it's not easy to find faults in their game. We will have to play a high-level match. [Carlos] Tévez is a great player, especially when he is close to goal. I know him well and I know we can't let him think.
I have enormous respect for Juventus. They have always been very strong and they work hard on the pitch. They like to press and create spaces for players like Tévez, [Fernando] Llorente or [Álvaro] Morata.
Massimiliano Allegri, Juventus coach
Their ability with dead balls is something we will have to work, in particular. The important thing is the team's attitude. Atlético display a lot of the characteristics of their manager. It is credit to Simeone that he has been able to transmit his ideas. It's a difficult game for us but also for them. We have to be calm while knowing what we are playing for. This is the type of game that brings out a lot of emotion.
Maybe [Martín] Cáceres will come back into the defence and I'm not sure about the Spaniards [Llorente and Morata] in attack. Atlético stand out for the quality of their team rather than individuals.
[Diego] Costa and [Mario] Mandžukić are tactically different. Both are great players and very dangerous. They have in common the fact they are very dangerous because of their physicality and technical ability. Tomorrow will be a big day for us and especially for our defence.
Form guide (all competitions)
• Juventus played Atlético's rivals Real Madrid CF in last season's group stage. What was the score when they met in the Spanish capital? Find out in our in-depth match background.