The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League second qualifying round draw took place on 15 June.
Article top media content
The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League second qualifying round draw took place on Wednesday 15 June, at the House of European Football in Nyon, Switzerland.
Champions path draw
Prior to the draw, teams were split into two groups of six and one of eight, and seeded in accordance with the club coefficient rankings. The winners of a first qualifying round match were seeded for the second qualifying round draw if either of the clubs involved in the match have a coefficient that would entitle them to be seeded.
Tobol Kostanay (KAZ) / Ferencváros (HUN) vs Slovan Bratislava (SVK) / Dinamo Batumi (GEO)
GNK Dinamo (CRO) vs Shkupi (MKD) / Lincoln Red Imps (GIB)
Lech Poznań (POL) / Qarabağ (AZE) vs Zürich (SUI)
HJK (FIN) / RFS (LVA) vs Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
The New Saints (WAL) / Linfield (NIR) vs Bodø/Glimt (NOR) / KÍ (FRO)
Ballkani (KOS) / Žalgiris (LTU) vs Malmö (SWE) / Preliminary round winners
Ludogorets (BUL) / Sutjeska (MNE) vs Shamrock Rovers (IRL) / Hibernians (MLT)
Maribor (SVN) / Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR) vs Zrinjski (BIH) / Sheriff (MDA)
Maccabi Haifa (ISR) vs Olympiacos (GRE)
Pyunik (ARM) / CFR Cluj (ROU) vs Diddeleng (LUX) / Tirana (ALB)
League path draw
The four teams were seeded in accordance with the club coefficient rankings.
Midtjylland (DEN) vs AEK Larnaca (CYP)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) vs Fenerbahçe (TUR)
Seeded teams are in bold.
How the draw worked
- The draw involved 20 teams: five direct entrants and the 15 winners of the first qualifying round ties played on 5/6 and 12/13 July.
- The teams were divided equally between seeded and unseeded clubs in accordance with the club coefficient rankings. For the first qualifying round pairings, the coefficient of the club with the higher coefficient of the two clubs involved in an undecided tie was used for the purposes of the draw.
- UEFA formed three groups for the champions path draw in accordance with the principles set by the Club Competitions Committee: two groups that produced three ties each (Groups 1 and 2) and one with four ties (Group 3).
- The balls containing the names of the seeded teams/pairings were placed in one bowl and the balls containing the unseeded teams/pairings were put into another bowl. One ball was taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle, where they were shuffled. The first team/pairing drawn will play the first leg at home.
- The four teams in the draw, all entering in this round, were divided equally between seeded and unseeded clubs in accordance with the club coefficient rankings.
- The balls containing the names of the seeded teams were in one bowl and the balls containing the unseeded teams/pairings were put in another bowl. One ball was taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle, where they were shuffled. The first team drawn will play the first leg at home.
What happens next?
The second qualifying round winners advance to the third qualifying round. Defeated teams transfer to the UEFA Europa League third qualifying round.
What are the key qualifying dates?
21 June: Preliminary round semi-finals
24 June: Preliminary round final
5/6 July: First qualifying round first legs
12/13 July: First qualifying round second legs
18 July: Third qualifying round draw
19/20 July: Second qualifying round first legs
26/27 July: Second qualifying round second legs
2 August: Play-off round draw
2/3 August: Third qualifying round first legs
9 August: Third qualifying round second legs
16/17 August: Play-off round first legs
23/24 August: Play-off round second legs