FC Shakhtar Donetsk and Chelsea FC went through on Tuesday; who can join them on Wednesday? UEFA.com explains all the permutations and the state of play.
Article top media content
FC Shakhtar Donetsk and Chelsea FC joined Real Madrid CF, FC Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, Borussia Dortmund, FC Bayern München and FC Porto in the UEFA Champions League round of 16 on Tuesday night but who can join them on Wednesday or in the final games? Let us explain ...
Qualified: Real Madrid CF, Borussia Dortmund, FC Bayern München*, Paris Saint-Germain, FC Barcelona, Chelsea FC*, FC Porto*, FC Shakhtar Donetsk
Can qualify: Club Atlético de Madrid, Olympiacos FC, Juventus, Malmö FF, FC Basel 1893, Liverpool FC, PFC Ludogorets Razgrad, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, AS Monaco FC, FC Zenit, SL Benfica, Arsenal FC, RSC Anderlecht, Galatasaray AŞ, AS Roma, Manchester City FC, PFC CSKA Moskva, FC Schalke 04, Sporting Clube de Portugal
GROUPS A-D: WEDNESDAY
Club Atlético de Madrid (9pts) v Olympiacos FC (6)
Malmö FF (3) v Juventus (6)
• Atlético will be through with a win, or a draw if Juventus lose.
• Olympiacos can only go through on matchday five if they win and Juventus draw.
• Juventus cannot be knocked out even with a loss while a point will ensure a top-three place.
• Malmö must avoid defeat at the very least to stay in contention. If they pick up fewer points than Olympiacos, Malmö will finish fourth.
FC Basel 1893 (6) v Real Madrid CF (12)
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad (3) v Liverpool FC (3)
• Madrid are through and will clinch first place as long as Basel do not win by a scoreline which gives them the head-to-head edge on the European champions.
• Basel will be through if they win and Liverpool do not win.
• Liverpool can ensure a top-three finish with victory, but even then they will definitely need three points against Basel on 9 December to have a chance of coming second.
• Ludogorets will be out of Europe with a loss, and cannot finish in the top two if they draw or Basel win.
FC Zenit (4) v SL Benfica (4)
Bayer 04 Leverkusen (9) v AS Monaco FC (5)
• Leverkusen will clinch the group with a win and will be through with a draw.
• Monaco cannot go through with a game to spare even if they win in Germany.
• Zenit will be out if they lose and Monaco win. Zenit won away to Benfica so another victory will ensure at least a top-three finish.
• Benfica will be out with a draw if Monaco win (because the best they could then hope for after matchday six is a three-way tie in which they could not possibly finish in the top two). Defeat eliminates Benfica from Europe if Monaco win.
Arsenal FC (7) v Borussia Dortmund (12)
RSC Anderlecht (2) v Galatasaray AŞ (1)
• Dortmund are through and will clinch the group with a point.
• Arsenal will be through with a draw, or if the other game is drawn.
• Anderlecht need to win both their remaining games and hope Arsenal do not pick up another point. However, a win ensures Anderlecht at least third place.
• Galatasray need to win, hope Arsenal lose, and then beat the Gunners on 9 December by a scoreline that gives them the head-to-head advantage on the London side.
Although all reasonable care has been taken that the information is accurate, no representation or guarantee is made as to its reliability or completeness. All outcomes are subject to official confirmation from UEFA following the conclusion of the group stage.