Barcelona, Bayern, Chelsea, Beşiktaş, Manchester City, Paris, Real Madrid and Tottenham are through: we see what the 14 teams competing for the eight remains places need to join them.
Article top media content
Barcelona , Bayern München, Beşiktaş, Chelsea, Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur are through to the UEFA Champions League round of 16 and 14 teams will compete for the eight remaining berths on 5 and 6 December. UEFA.com explains the permutations.
- Through to round of 16: Barcelona*, Bayern München, Beşiktaş*, Chelsea, Manchester City*, Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Tottenham Hotspur* (*group winners)
- Can qualify on matchday six: Atlético Madrid, Basel, CSKA Moskva, Juventus, Leipzig, Liverpool, Manchester United, Napoli, Porto, Roma, Sevilla, Shakhtar Donetsk, Spartak Moskva, Sporting CP
- Cannot finish in top two: Anderlecht, APOEL, Borussia Dortmund, Celtic
- Will finish fourth: Benfica, Feyenoord, Maribor, Monaco, Olympiacos, Qarabağ
- Full standings
All information in this article is subject to final confirmation from UEFA. These examples may not cover all potential situations.
Group A: Manchester United (12 points) v CSKA Moskva (9), Benfica (0) v Basel (9)
- Manchester United would qualify in first place with a point (and can afford to lose by six goals and still go through). If they lose to CSKA and Basel do not win, United and CSKA will go through with first place determined by head-to-head results between the two; United won 4-1 in Russia and would have the superior overall goal difference if they lose 4-1. If CSKA and Basel win, the top two will be decided in a three-way head to head; United would be through in this situation unless they lost by seven goals, and would be top unless they lost by five goals).
- Basel will go through if they better CSKA's result, or if both teams draw or lose due to their superior head-to-head. If CSKA and Basel win, the top two will be decided in a three-way head to head, and Basel would be through unless CSKA win by a margin of between three and six goals inclusive).
- CSKA must pick up more points than Basel to ensure second place (if both win, CSKA must win by a margin of three goals to go through in the three-way head-to-head and by a margin of five goals to finish top).
- Benfica will finish bottom.
Group B: Bayern München (12) v Paris Saint-Germain (15), Celtic (3) v Anderlecht (0)
- Paris and Bayern are both through, with top spot still to play for ahead of their matchday six meeting. Paris won the first game between the sides 3-0 and also lead on overall goal difference so Bayern must win by a four-goal margin to finish top.
- Celtic and Anderlecht can both still finish third. Anderlecht were beaten 3-0 at home by Celtic so the Belgian side must win by a three-goal margin in Glasgow to go into the UEFA Europa League (if they win 3-0, Anderlecht finish third on overall goal difference).
Group C: Roma (8) v Qarabağ (2), Chelsea (10) v Atlético Madrid (6)
- Chelsea are through. They will secure first place with victory or if Roma fail to win.
- Roma will go through with a win, or if Atlético fail to win. If Roma win and Chelsea do not, Roma win the group.
- Atlético need to win and hope Roma do not to finish second (if they both finish on nine points, Atlético have the superior head-to-head).
- Qarabağ will finish bottom.
Group D: Olympiacos (1) v Juventus (8), Barcelona (11) v Sporting CP (7)
- Barcelona are through as group winners.
- Juventus will be through with a win, or if Sporting fail to gain victory (if they finish level on points, Juve have the superior head-to-head).
- Sporting have to win, and will reach the last 16 if they win and Juventus do not.
- Olympiacos will finish bottom.
Group E: Maribor (2) v Sevilla (8), Liverpool (9) v Spartak Moskva (6)
- Liverpool will qualify with a draw, and will clinch first place with a win, or a draw if Sevilla fail to win. If Liverpool lose they are out unless Sevilla are also defeated (as Liverpool would be below Spartak in a two-way head-to-head or would be third in a three-way head-to-head on nine points).
- Sevilla will qualify with a draw, or if Spartak fail to win. Sevilla clinch first place if they win and Liverpool do not.
- Spartak would be through with a win or third with any other result. If Spartak win they will finish top unless Sevilla also win.
- Maribor will finish fourth
Group F: Feyenoord (0) v Napoli (6), Shakhtar Donetsk (9) v Manchester City (15)
- Man. City are through as group winners.
- Shakhtar will be through if they avoid defeat or if Napoli do not win.
- Napoli must win and hope Shakhtar lose; in that case Napoli would finish second on head-to-head.
- Feyenoord will finish fourth.
Group G: Porto (7) v Monaco (2), RB Leipzig (7) v Beşiktaş (11)
- Beşiktaş are through as group winners.
- Porto are through if they win, or as long as they are at least level on points with Leipzig due to their superior head-to-head (on goal difference).
- Leipzig must pick up more points than Porto to finish second.
- Monaco will finish fourth.
Group H: Real Madrid (10) v Borussia Dortmund (2), Tottenham Hotspur (13) v APOEL (2)
- Tottenham have qualified as group winners due to their superior head-to-head over Madrid.
- Madrid have qualified as group runners-up.
- Dortmund and APOEL will contest third place. In case both teams draw Dortmund will be qualified due to superior goal difference in all matches. In case both teams win or lose the final ranking will depend on the number of goals scored and conceded in the last two matches.
Standings are provisional until all matches have been played.