Two modern greats come face to face for the first time with their current clubs; UEFA.com puts them back to back.
Article top media content
Mohamed Salah and Neymar will be under the spotlight when they come face to face in Liverpool's UEFA Champions League opener against Paris. How do they measure up?
• Salah and Neymar have met once before, though neither player scored in the 1-1 group stage draw between Roma and Barcelona on 16 September 2015. Salah was absent for the return fixture, a 6-1 win for the hosts at the Camp Nou.
• Salah has scored in two of his five Premier League games this season, and in five of his eight matches for club and country since the UEFA Champions League final: six goals in total.
• In the same period, Neymar has played 14 games, and scored ten times (never more than a goal a game) including goals in each of his last six outings: four in Ligue 1 for Paris, followed by two (both penalties) in international friendlies for Brazil.
• The two players are the same age (26, though Neymar is older by 131 days) and the same height: 175cm.
• Neymar has scored twice in eight games against English clubs (two goals in 626 minutes of football), and was on the winning side in the first seven of those games – his streak ending in Barcelona's 3-1 loss at Manchester City in the 2016/17 group stage.
• Salah's only past encounters with French clubs came with Roma in the 2016/17 UEFA Europa League round of 16 when his side lost 5-4 on aggregate against Lyon; he scored once in 180 minutes of football in that tie.
• This will not be Neymar's first trip to Anfield this year; he scored as Brazil beat Croatia 2-0 in a pre-World Cup friendly in Liverpool on 3 June.
When Salah and Neymar have scored their 2018 goals for club and country
|Time||Mohamed Salah (pens)
|76-85||5 (2)||3 (1)|
2017/18 UEFA Champions League tally
|Name||Minutes played||Goals scored (pens)
2018/19 domestic tally
||League goals (pens)
||Cup goals*||Total appearances
|Mohamed Salah||5||2 (0)||0||0||5||2|
*includes domestic super cup and league cup competitions
All-time UEFA Champions League record (group stage to final)
|Name||Appearances||Goals scored||Goals per game
||Best #UCL tally|
|Mohamed Salah||28||13||0.46||10 (2017/18)|
All-time UEFA club competition record*
|Name||Appearances||Goals scored||Goals per game|
*UEFA club competition: UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Super Cup, UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, UEFA Intertoto Cup, European/South American Cup