Liverpool are next up for Poland's goalscorer-in-chief; will he enjoy meeting his old boss Jürgen Klopp?
Article top media content
Robert Lewandowski has sparkled for Lech Poznań, Borussia Dortmund and Bayern München in Europe, and will look to forge on as he meets Liverpool for the first time in the round of 16. UEFA.com dissects Lewangoalski's stats.
• Lewandowski (53 goals) is seventh in the all-time UEFA Champions League scoring charts; only Ruud van Nistelrooy (56 goals) has scored more without lifting the trophy.
• The Pole has scored all nine of his UEFA Champions League penalties.
• Lewandowski's overall European average of one goal per 133m52s is impressive, but he has a way to go to match the strike rates of Lionel Messi (a goal every 100m16s) or Cristiano Ronaldo (one every 114m8s).
• Sevilla have been obdurate adversaries: in four attempts – two with Dortmund and two with Bayern – Lewandowski is yet to score against the Andalusian outfit. CSKA Moskva have gone the longest without conceding to Lewandowski: 224 minutes and counting.
• Other clubs to have kept the Pole at arm's length – at least so far – include Celtic and current employers Bayern, who edged past Lewandowski's Dortmund 2-1 in the 2013 UEFA Champions League final.
• His strike rate in the UEFA Champions League (53 goals in 78 games) is better than his tally in the UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League (seven goals in 24 games, including qualifying).
• Lewandowski has reached his goalscoring peak with Bayern; he scored six in 16 UEFA games for Lech (0.375 goals per game), 18 in 36 for Dortmund (0.5 per game) and has so far hit 36 in 50 for Bayern (0.72 per game).
• His first UEFA Champions League hat-trick was one of the greats, Lewandowski becoming the first player to score four in a semi-final as Dortmund beat Madrid 4-1 in April 2013. He has scored six against the Merengues all in – more than he has managed against any other continental opponent.
• Dinamo Zagreb have more reason to fear Lewandowski than any other side; he scored five goals in two games against them in 2015 (a hat-trick in Munich and then two more in Croatia). On average, that is a goal every 36 minutes.
Who has Lewandowski scored against in UEFA competition?
• Lewandowski has terrorised German defences on a regular basis at club level, but failed to score in his only European encounter with Bundesliga opponents: the 2013 UEFA Champions League final, in which Bayern beat his Dortmund side 2-1.
• Of the representatives of the other 'big five' leagues, Serie A sides have proved best equipped to thwart Lewandowski; he has managed a goal every 363 minutes against Italian opponents, Napoli and Udinese both managing to keep him off the scoresheet.
Which nations' clubs has Lewandowski scored against?
When Lewandowski has scored his UEFA Champions League goals
• Opposition defences should most beware Lewandowski between the restart and the 75th minute, when he has scored 25 European goals, more than any other time period – that period was also when he scored his famous nine-minute Bundesliga quintet against Wolfsburg.
• Curiously, Lewandowski is not particularly prolific early or late in a game – in continental fixtures at least, he appears to come to life from the 20-minute mark to around 80 minutes.
Last updated: 08/01/19