Liverpool v Beşiktaş background
Thursday, January 15, 2015
Liverpool FC can dream of breaking records in the UEFA Europa League round of 32 as they welcome a Beşiktaş JK side out to atone for past misadventures on Merseyside.
Article top media content
Liverpool FC will be eager to continue where they left off against Beşiktaş JK with records having been broken the last time their UEFA Europa League round of 32 opponents came to Merseyside.
• The sides met in the 2007/08 UEFA Champions League group stage, with Ertuğrul Sağlam's Beşiktaş beating the Reds 2-1 in Istanbul before crashing 8-0 to Rafael Benítez's men at Anfield; it remains Beşiktaş's heaviest European defeat, and indeed the heaviest loss suffered by any club in the UEFA Champions League (group stage to final).
• The teams for that game on 6 November 2007 were:
Liverpool: Reina, Hyypiä, Riise, Gerrard* (Lucas 73), Voronin (Kewell 72), Benayoun, Fábio Aurélio (Babel 63), Crouch, Arbeloa, Mascherano, Carragher.
Beşiktaş: Hakan Arıkan, Serdar Kurtuluş (Higuaín 62), Mehmet Sedef (Ricardinho 78), Matías Delgado, Bobô, Diatta, Cissé, İbrahim Üzülmez, Serdar Özkan (Ali Tandoğan 46), Koray Avci, İbrahim Toraman.
*registered to play for the club in this season's competition
• Liverpool are unbeaten in five home matches against Turkish sides (W4 D1).
• Beşiktaş have already taken on English opponents this season, drawing 1-1 away and winning 1-0 at home against Tottenham Hotspur FC in the UEFA Europa League group stage and losing 1-0 on aggregate to Arsenal FC in the UEFA Champions League play-offs.
• Liverpool have not won in their last five European games (D2 L3), and went out to FC Zenit (on away goals) in their last round of 32 tie in 2012/13.
Trivia and links
• Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard may be playing his final UEFA club competition campaign having agreed to leave for LA Galaxy in the summer.
• Beşiktaş striker Demba Ba knows English football well from his time with West Ham United FC, Newcastle United FC and Chelsea FC. He scored twice in five matches against Liverpool (W3 D1 L1).
• Beşiktaş winger Kerim Koyunlu also appeared in the English leagues with Fulham FC and Cardiff City AFC, tasting both victory and defeat against Liverpool.
• Liverpool's Emre Can and Samed Yeşil are both German players of Turkish extraction.
• Liverpool (1973, 1976 and 2001) are among 11 former UEFA Cup or UEFA Europa League winners in the round of 32. They are also among six last-32 contenders to have won the European Cup or UEFA Champions League.
• Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers' professional playing career was over by the age of 20, a knee condition forcing the Northern Irish defender to move into coaching, where he initially worked in Reading FC's academy. He managed Watford FC and Reading before steering Swansea City AFC into the Premier League, and has been in charge at Anfield since June 2012.
• Beşiktaş coach since June 2013, Slaven Bilić earned a bronze medal as a defender with Croatia at the 1998 FIFA World Cup, and went on to lead his country to UEFA EURO 2008 and UEFA EURO 2012 as a coach. A rock music fan with a law degree, he was at the FC Lokomotiv Moskva helm before heading to Turkey.
• Bilić played for Liverpool's local rivals Everton FC from 1997–99.