UEFA Europa League semi-final draw
Friday, April 24, 2015
Sevilla FC's UEFA Europa League defence continues against ACF Fiorentina in the last four, while SSC Napoli take on semi-final debutants FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
Article top media content
The draw for the UEFA Europa League semi-finals has been made in Nyon, Switzerland. Sevilla FC continue their title defence against ACF Fiorentina, while SSC Napoli take on semi-final debutants FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
SSC Napoli (ITA) v FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR)
• European semi-final pedigree – Napoli: W1 L1, Dnipro: none
• Dnipro and Napoli met in the 2012/13 group stage, Dnipro winning 3-1 at home and Edinson Cavani scoring all four as Napoli took the honours in Italy with a 4-2 victory. A repeat would take Dnipro through on away goals ...
• This will be Dnipro's first UEFA competition semi-final: they lost two previous European Cup quarter-finals.
• Napoli had not advanced beyond the last 16 since Diego Maradona inspired them to UEFA Cup glory in 1989.
• Napoli's Rafael Benítez is seeking to become the first coach to lead three clubs to UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League glory (Valencia CF in 2004, Chelsea FC in 2013), matching Giovanni Trapattoni's record haul of three wins in the process.
• Dnipro have lost their last five games against Italian opposition, including twice v FC Internazionale Milano in this season's group stage.
• Dnipro's record v Italian clubs: W1 D1 L6 (W1 D1 L2 at home; W0 D0 L4 away).
• Napoli's record v Ukrainian clubs: W1 D0 L1 (W1 D0 L0 at home; W0 D0 L1 away)
Sevilla FC (ESP, holders) v ACF Fiorentina (ITA)
• European semi-final pedigree – Sevilla: W3 L0, Fiorentina: W4 L2
• The sides have never before met in European competition.
• Fiorentina went out on penalties to Rangers FC after a scoreless 180 minutes on their last semi-final appearance in 2008.
• Sevilla are bidding to become the first team to lift the trophy four times. They are currently alongside Juventus, FC Internazionale Milano and Liverpool FC on three.
• The tie will have special meaning for Fiorentina winger Joaquín, who is from Andalusia and began his career with Sevilla's city rivals Real Betis Balompié.
• Sevilla's record v Italian clubs: W0 D1 L3 (W0 D1 L0 at home; W0 D0 L2 away)
• Fiorentina's record v Spanish clubs: W2 D4 L6 (W2 D1 L1 at home; W0 D2 L4 away)
The first legs take place on Thursday 7 May, with the second legs seven days later.
The winners of the first semi-final between Napoli and Dnipro will be the nominal home team for the final on Wednesday 27 May at the National Stadium Warsaw.
• If Fiorentina and Napoli both make it then it will be the fifth all-Italian final in this competition, after 1990, 1991, 1995 and 1998. The Viola fell to Juventus in 1990.
• Fiorentina won 2-1 home and away against Dnipro in the group stage last term. The Viola also had the edge in their only other encounters, a 2-1 home victory taking them through to the 2001/02 UEFA Cup second round after drawing the first leg 0-0. They have never met domestic rivals Napoli in Europe.
• Sevilla have never faced Napoli or Dnipro.