Sporting Clube de Portugal's long unbeaten European home record is put to the test by a Chelsea FC side who have won their last six matches against Liga opponents.
Article top media content
Sporting Clube de Portugal put their long unbeaten European home record on the line as they welcome a Chelsea FC side who have won their last six matches against Liga opponents.
• Sporting have won their last three home games against English visitors without conceding a goal. The only defeat in nine such contests (W7 D1) was Manchester United FC's 1-0 victory in the 2007/08 group stage, Sporting's only previous UEFA Champions League encounter with a Premier League club.
• Their 19 previous games against English sides have ended W9 D3 L7.
• This is their sixth group stage campaign and the first since 2008/09, when they reached the last 16 for the first time.
• The 2013/14 Portuguese Liga runners-up are unbeaten in 16 European home games − 13 wins, three draws − since a 2-0 loss to Brøndby IF in the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League play-offs.
• Chelsea's record in nine games against Portuguese clubs – three against SL Benfica, six versus FC Porto – in European competition is W7 D1 L1. Their last six wins against Liga sides were by single-goal margins.
• Their last victory came against Benfica in the 2013 UEFA Europa League final when Branislav Ivanović's header in the last minute of added time earned a 2-1 win at the Amsterdam ArenA.
• This is their 13th group stage campaign and 12th in a row.
Coach and player links
• José Mourinho worked at Sporting as assistant to coach Sir Bobby Robson for one and a half seasons between 1992 and 1993. He later became head coach at Benfica, leaving after a 3-0 home win over Sporting in 2001, and also coached UD Leiria and Porto, never losing a match against Sporting (W4 D2).
• Nani scored three goals in 13 appearances (W4 D4 L5) for Manchester United FC against Chelsea and converted a spot kick in the 2008 UEFA Champions League final in Moscow when United won 6-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw. He scored the opening goal in the 2009 Community Shield, which ended 2-2 with Chelsea winning 4-1 on penalties, and finished on the winning side four times with five defeats.
• Ramires played for Benfica in 2009/10 and scored in the semi-final victory over Sporting in the Portuguese League Cup. Of his three matches against Sporting he was twice on the winning side with the other drawn.
• Nemanja Matić also played for Benfica, who were unbeaten in his four appearances against Sporting (W3 D1).
• Diego Costa started his European career at FC Penafiel, on loan from SC Braga in 2006/07. He then played seven games in the Portuguese Liga for Braga before moving to Spain.
• André Schürrle scored Germany's first goal in a 2-1 win against Islam Slimani's Algeria in the last 16 of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
• Mohamed Salah and Rami Rabia play together for Egypt.
• Oscar scored all three goals as Brazil beat Cédric Soares' Portugal 3-2 after extra time in the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup final.
• Naby Sarr and Kurt Zouma were centre-back partners as France beat Uruguay in the 2013 U-20 World Cup final.
• Sporting were held to their fifth 1-1 draw in seven matches this season on Friday against FC Porto as Naby Sarr's own goal cancelled out Jonathan Silva's first strike for the club.
• Rui Patrício made his 200th top-flight appearance for Sporting as the Lions recorded their biggest away win in 13 months, 4-0 against Gil Vicente FC, on 21 September.
• With left-back Jefferson suspended, Jonathan Silva, a summer signing from Club Estudiantes LP, made his debut for Sporting in Barcelos.
• Rami Rabia, who joined Sporting in the summer from al-Ahly SC in his native Egypt, is yet to make his debut. He has been sidelined since sustaining an abdominal injury on 30 August.
• Diego Costa has scored eight goals in six league outings following his summer switch from Atlético.
• Chelsea's 100% start to the Premier League season ended when they drew 1-1 at Manchester City FC on 21 September, former Blues midfielder Frank Lampard cancelling out fellow substitute André Schürrle's strike.
• Zouma marked his Chelsea debut with the opening goal in a 2-1 League Cup victory against Bolton Wanderers FC on 24 September.
• Petr Čech and Nathan Aké made their first club appearances of the season against Bolton, Loïc Rémy starting for the first time since his move from Queens Park Rangers FC.