The UEFA Champions League play-off draw took place on Monday 2 August.
Article top media content
The UEFA Champions League play-off draw was streamed live on Monday 2 August at the House of European Football in Nyon, Switzerland.
The 12 teams were drawn into six ties, which will decide the last slots in the group stage.
Champions League play-off draw
Salzburg (AUT) vs Brøndby (DEN)
Young Boys (SUI) vs Ferencváros (HUN)
Malmö (SWE) vs Ludogorets (BUL)
Sheriff (MDA) vs GNK Dinamo (CRO)
Monaco (FRA) vs Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
Benfica (POR) vs PSV (NED)
What happens next?
Ties take place at 21:00 CET on 17/18 and 24/25 August, with extra time and a penalty shoot-out if required after the second leg. Winners advance to the UEFA Champions League group stage to join the 26 teams given direct entry (draw on 26 August); all losing sides move into the UEFA Europa League group stage (draw on 27 August).
How the draw worked
- There were two draws: one for the eight teams in the champions path (including two entering at this stage), the other for the four clubs in the league path.
- The teams in each draw were divided equally between seeded and unseeded sides in accordance with the club coefficient rankings.
- The draw included some teams taking part in the third qualifying round on 3/4 & 10 August. The coefficient of the club with the higher coefficient of the two clubs involved in an undecided tie was used for the purposes of the draw.
- Sides from the same association could not be drawn against each other.
- The balls containing the names of the seeded teams were placed in one bowl and the balls containing the unseeded sides were put into another bowl. One ball was taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle, where they were shuffled. The first team drawn plays at home in the first leg.
Which teams were involved?
Two teams enter the competition at this stage with a further ten progressing from the third qualifying round.
FC Salzburg (AUT)
GNK Dinamo (CRO) / Legia Warszawa (POL)
Ferencvárosi TC (HUN) / SK Slavia Praha (CZE)
Olympiacos FC (GRE) / PFC Ludogorets 1945 (BUL)
CFR 1907 Cluj (ROU) / BSC Young Boys (SUI)
FK Crvena zvezda (SRB) / FC Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)
Malmö FF (SWE) / Rangers FC (SCO)
Brøndby IF (DEN)
KRC Genk (BEL) / FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
FC Spartak Moskva (RUS) / SL Benfica (POR)
AS Monaco FC (FRA) / AC Sparta Praha (CZE)
PSV Eindhoven (NED) / FC Midtjylland (DEN)
Special COVID rules
Please be aware of the special rules applicable to the qualifying phase and play-offs of the competition due to COVID-19, which can be found here.
In regards to travelling fans being admitted to matches, more information can be found here.