Slavia Praha are next up for Barcelona; is that good news for Lionel Messi?
Article top media content
Lionel Messi failed to find the target against Inter once more on Matchday 2; will he rally in the Czech Republic?
• Messi has scored 115 goals in 11,590 minutes of European football; that's a goal every 100 minutes and 47 seconds.
• The Argentinian has faced 40 different clubs in Europe (from 16 countries), failing to score against five: Atlético Madrid, Benfica, Inter, Rubin Kazan and Udinese.
• Atlético and Inter Milan are the sides Messi has gone longest without scoring against: 360 minutes in UEFA competition.
• Chelsea are the side Messi has played the most minutes against (835 minutes across ten matches); he did not score in his first 730 minutes against the Blues, but struck three times in two games against them in 2017/18.
• The keeper who has gone the longest without conceding against Messi in Europe is Inter's Júlio César – 270 minutes – though Rubin Kazan's Sergei Ryzhikov may feel he has the moral right to that title. He has been unbeaten in 237 minutes against Messi; that run took in four matches, as opposed to Júlio César's three.
• Alisson Becker came within 15 minutes of taking that honour from compatriot Júlio César before Messi struck his first of the 2018/19 semi-final as the Brazilian stopper did not concede against Messi for Roma in last season's quarter-final. Within seven minutes Messi had managed another.
• Messi has scored more goals against Arsenal than any other team in UEFA competition – nine in 447 minutes comprising six games. On average, that's a goal every 49 minutes and 40 seconds.
• The Blaugrana man's most amenable opponents may have been Bayer Leverkusen: Messi has hit seven goals in 270 minutes against them, at a rate of one every 38 minutes and 34 seconds. Five of those strikes famously came in one match, a 7-1 win on 7 March 2012.
Who has Messi scored against in UEFA competition?
• Of the big five European footballing nations, German opponents seem to suit Messi best: he scores on average every 70 minutes and 34 seconds against Bundesliga clubs. Goals are much rarer against sides from England (every 102m 8s), France (128m), Italy (158m 40s) and Spain (187m 30s).
• Messi may relish Portuguese rearguards least of all; in 478 minutes against Liga teams, he has scored just twice – a goal every 239 minutes.
Which nations' clubs has Messi scored against?
|Opponents by nationality||Games||Minutes||Goals||Minutes
When Messi has scored his UEFA club competition goals
• Messi is relatively slow to get started after the whistle; his least prolific scoring periods are at the start of either half. By contrast, he seems to hit something of a critical goalscoring velocity in the final minutes, 14 goals between the 86th minute and the final whistle.
• Messi has scored 12 penalties in UEFA competition but failed to find the target with three; two saved (v Panathinaikos, September 2010, and v Manchester City, February 2015) and one against the crossbar (v Chelsea, April 2012).
Last updated 15/10/19