Which teams have best reason to dread facing Lionel Messi and which defences has he yet to breach?
Article top media content
Lionel Messi has scored three in his four games against Lyon so far; is he due a few more when Barcelona meet OL in the round of 16?
• Messi has scored 109 goals in 10,929 minutes of European football; that's a goal roughly every 100 minutes and 16 seconds.
• The Argentinian has faced 39 different clubs in Europe (from 16 countries), failing to score against six: Atlético Madrid, Benfica, Internazionale Milano, Liverpool, Rubin Kazan and Udinese.
• Atlético are now the side he has gone longest without scoring against: 360 minutes in UEFA competitions.
• Chelsea are the side he has played the most minutes against (ten matches, 835 minutes); he did not score in his first 730 minutes against the Blues, but struck three times in two games against them in 2017/18.
• The keeper who has gone the longest without conceding against Messi in Europe is Inter's Júlio César – 270 minutes – though Rubin Kazan's Sergei Ryzhikov may feel he has the moral right to that title. He has been unbeaten in 237 minutes against Messi; that run took in four matches, as opposed to Júlio César's three.
• The Blaugrana man has scored more goals against Arsenal than any other team in UEFA competition – nine in 447 minutes comprising six games. On average, that's a goal every 49 minutes and 40 seconds.
• His most amenable opponents may have been Bayer Leverkusen: Messi has hit seven goals in 270 minutes against them, at a rate of one every 38 minutes and 34 seconds. Five of those strikes famously came in one match, a 7-1 win on 7 March 2012.
Who has Messi scored against in UEFA competition?
• Of the big five European footballing nations, German opponents seem to suit Messi best: he scores on average every 70 minutes and 34 seconds against Bundesliga clubs. Goals are much rarer against sides from England (every 111m25s), Italy (151m10s), France (138m51s) and Spain (187m30s).
• Messi may relish Portuguese rearguards least of all; in 478 minutes against Liga teams, he has scored just twice – a goal every 239 minutes.
Which nations' clubs has Messi scored against?
|Opponents by nationality||Games||Minutes||Goals||Minutes
When Messi has scored his UEFA club competition goals
• Messi is relatively slow to get started after the whistle; his least prolific scoring periods are at the start of either half. By contrast, he seems to hit something of a critical goalscoring velocity in the final minutes, 14 goals between the 86th minute and the final whistle.
• Messi has scored 11 penalties in UEFA competitions but failed to find the target with three; two saved (v Panathinaikos, September 2010, and v Man. City, February 2015) and one against the crossbar (v Chelsea, April 2012).