After Cristiano Ronaldo broke his personal duck against Paris Saint-Germain we discover that he loves playing Bayern München, but finds the going tougher against Barcelona – and Scottish clubs.
Article top media content
Paris Saint-Germain were one of the few European opponents Cristiano Ronaldo had failed to score against until his UEFA Champions League double on Wednesday.
That 3-1 win means the 119-goal all-time UEFA club competition top scorer has now struck against more than two thirds of the 50 teams he has faced in Europe. Which sices has Ronaldo found the hardest – or easiest – opponents to break down?
• With 119 goals in 13,223 minutes of UEFA club competition football, Ronaldo scores at an average rate of a goal every 111 minutes and 7 seconds. However, that rate is considerably higher with Real Madrid (83min 14s per goal) than it was with Sporting CP and Manchester United (290min 30s per goal).
• Ronaldo has played against 50 teams in UEFA competition, scoring against 34. As a Madrid player, he has faced 32 sides in Europe, with only four now having managed to stop him scoring: Barcelona, Dinamo Zagreb, Legia Warszawa and Napoli.
• Barcelona have proved the toughest European nut to crack for Ronaldo: he has yet to score in 450 minutes against Madrid's Liga rivals – 270 with United and 180 with the Merengues.
• The team he has found it easiest to breach are Malmö, with his six goals across 180 UEFA Champions League minutes against the Swedish club constituting a strike every 30 minutes.
• The side Ronaldo has encountered most in Europe are Lyon, whom he has met ten times – 884 minutes in total – scoring four goals.
• Ronaldo has struck nine times against Bayern München – more goals than he has mustered against any other continental opposition. These goals have come in six games, at an average of one every 64 minutes and 47 seconds.
Who has Ronaldo scored against in UEFA competitions?
• Of Europe's big five footballing nations, Ronaldo has found German club defences most porous, averaging well over a goal a game – 26 strikes in 22 matches. However, while he nets plenty in the Liga, he has struggled with Spanish rearguards in Europe, scoring a goal only every 238 minutes against domestic opponents in UEFA competion.
• He may prefer not to move to Scotland: Ronaldo is yet to score in 352 minutes of UEFA club action against Scottish sides, by far the longest period that clubs from any country have been able to resist him.
Which nations' clubs has Ronaldo scored against?
|Opponents by nationality||Games||Minutes||Goals||Minutes