The draw comprises 32 clubs, 26 of whom are direct entrants while six qualify via the play-offs.
Article top media content
30 August, Monaco
- The 26 teams given direct entry to the group stage under the new competition system will be joined by the six winners of the play-off ties played on 21/22 and 28/29 August.
- The teams will be split into four seeding pots. Pot 1 consists of the holders, the UEFA Europa League winners and the champions of the six highest-ranked nations. Pots 2 to 4 are determined by the club coefficient rankings.
- No team can play a club from their own association, with the exact draw procedure to be confirmed before the ceremony.
- The draw also establishes the groups for the UEFA Champions League path of the UEFA Youth League.
ESP: Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia
ENG: Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool
GER: Bayern München, Borussia Dortmund, Schalke, Hoffenheim
ITA: Juventus, Napoli, Roma, Internazionale Milano
FRA: Paris Saint-Germain, Lyon, Monaco
RUS: Lokomotiv Moskva, CSKA Moskva
UKR: Shakhtar Donetsk
BEL: Club Brugge
CZE: Viktoria Plzeň
Plus 6 play-off winners
Who are in which group?
Real Madrid (holders)
Atlético Madrid (UEFA Europa League winners)
Borussia Dortmund 89.000
Manchester United 82.000
Shakhtar Donetsk 81.000
Tottenham Hotspur 67.000
CSKA Moskva 45.000
Club Brugge 29.500
Internazionale Milano 16.000
Viktoria Plzeň 33.000
6 play-off winners
Clubs' coefficients are determined either by the sum of all points won in the previous five years or by the association coefficient over the same period – whichever is higher (under a new system introduced for 2018/19 onwards).
The following award winners will be announced during the draw ceremony:
- UEFA Men's Player of the Year
- UEFA Women's Player of the Year
- Goalkeeper of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season
- Defender of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season
- Midfielder of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season
- Forward of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season
18/19 September: Group stage, matchday one
2/3 October: Group stage, matchday two
23/24 October: Group stage, matchday three
6/7 November: Group stage, matchday four
27/28 November: Group stage, matchday five
11/12 December: Group stage, matchday six
17 December: Round of 16 draw
12/13/19/20 February: Round of 16, first leg
5/6/12/13 March: Round of 16, second leg
15 March: Quarter-final & semi-final draw
9/10 April: Quarter-finals, first leg
16/17 April: Quarter-finals, second leg
30 April/1 May: Semi-finals, first leg
7/8 May: Semi-finals, second leg
Saturday 1 June: Final – Estadio Metropolitano, Madrid