UEFA Champions League play-off round draw
Tuesday, 9 August 2022
The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League play-off draw took place on Tuesday 2 August.
Article top media content
The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League play-off round draw took place at the House of European Football in Nyon, Switzerland.
The line-up is subject to final confirmation by UEFA.
Champions path (seeded teams in bold)
Qarabağ FK (AZE) vs FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
FK Bodø/Glimt (NOR) vs GNK Dinamo (CRO)
Maccabi Haifa FC (ISR) vs FK Crvena zvezda (SRB)
F.C. Copenhagen (DEN) vs Trabzonspor AŞ (TUR)
The Champions path features two new entrants at this stage: F.C. Copenhagen (DEN) and Trabzonspor AŞ (TUR). It also features six UEFA Champions League third qualifying round winners (Champions path).
League path (seeded teams in bold)
FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) vs SL Benfica (POR)
Rangers FC (SCO) vs PSV Eindhoven (NED)
The League path features four UEFA Champions League third qualifying round winners (League path).
How the draw worked
- There were two draws: one for the teams in the Champions path (including two entering at this stage), the other for the clubs in the League path.
- The teams in each draw were divided equally between seeded and unseeded sides in accordance with the club coefficient rankings. The higher coefficient of the two clubs involved in an undecided pairing was used for the purposes of the draw.
- The teams in each draw were divided equally between seeded and unseeded sides in accordance with the club coefficient rankings.
- The balls containing the names of the seeded teams were placed in one bowl and the balls containing the unseeded sides were put into another bowl. One ball was taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle, where they were shuffled. The first team drawn is playing at home in the first leg.
- Sides from the same association could not be drawn against each other.
- As decided by the UEFA Executive Committee, teams from Azerbaijan and Armenia could not be drawn against each other. Any other restrictions were announced ahead of the draw.
What happens next?
Ties take place on 16/17 and 23/24 August, with extra time and a penalty shoot-out if required after the second leg. Winners advance to the Champions League group stage to join the 26 teams given direct entry; all losing sides move into the UEFA Europa League group stage (draw on 26 August).
What are the key dates?
16/17 August: Play-off round first legs
23/24 August: Play-off round second legs
25 August: Group stage draw