The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League play-off draw takes place on 2 August.
Article top media content
The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League play-off round draw, streamed live from 12:00 CET on Tuesday 2 August, features 12 teams vying for the last six group stage places. The ceremony takes place at the House of European Football in Nyon, Switzerland.
The line-up is subject to final confirmation by UEFA.
6 third qualifying round winners (Champions path)
4 third qualifying round winners (League path)
How the draw works
- There will be two draws: one for the eight teams in the Champions path (including two entering at this stage), the other for the four clubs in the League path.
- The teams in each draw will be divided equally between seeded and unseeded sides in accordance with the club coefficient rankings. The higher coefficient of the two clubs involved in an undecided pairing will be used for the purposes of the draw.
- The teams in each draw will be divided equally between seeded and unseeded sides in accordance with the club coefficient rankings.
- The balls containing the names of the seeded teams will be placed in one bowl and the balls containing the unseeded sides will be put into another bowl. One ball will be taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle, where they will be shuffled. The first team drawn will play at home in the first leg.
- Sides from the same association cannot be drawn against each other. Any other restrictions will be announced ahead of the draw.
What happens next?
Ties take place on 16/17 and 23/24 August, with extra time and a penalty shoot-out if required after the second leg. Winners advance to the Champions League group stage to join the 26 teams given direct entry; all losing sides move into the UEFA Europa League group stage (draw on 26 August).
What are the key dates?
2/3 August: Third qualifying round first legs
9 August: Third qualifying round second legs
16/17 August: Play-off round first legs
23/24 August: Play-off round second legs
25 August: Group stage draw